Mission Map

Monday, December 15, 2014

One Year in Finland


Hey! So as of tomorrow I've been living in Finland for one year! In some ways it feels like it's been a year and that I've been here a long time but other times it feels like it's gone by way fast. I was just thinking about that day, getting off of the train in Seinäjoki and meeting the one priesthood holder that lives in Seinäjoki and not understanding a word he said and feeling super out of place. Things are a little different now haha now when somebody speaks to us in fluent english on the street it's equally as weird as it was hearing finnish the first time. We also get our change calls this week, this change has just flown by. I feel like I'm still new in Espoo, but I'll probably be starting my second change here next week. Pretty crazy. Well mom I'm sorry to hear that you're sick this week. Hopefully you get to drink the delicious pink medicine that we always drank when we had strep when we were little kids! Well I'm super excited to get this birthday package that's coming, thank you so much for being the greatest family ever! 

Well last week was pretty great. We had the chance to teach a lot and found a few new investigators! The investigator I'm most excited about is a guy from Cameroon who has a wife and four little kids! His kids are adorable, he has two daughters that are like 7 and 5 and then two twin baby boys and the twins are like 4 months old and their names are Fortune, and Fortunate..... how funny is that? Super adorable kids though and the little girls speak finnish as well which is sweet! But he's a really good guy and he said that he will be able to come to church next with with the whole family! Also our investigator that looks like CJ invited a couple friends to a lesson this week and they both became new investigators! That investigator is doing way well though. We've been working super hard with him and we had a lesson with President Watson there and stuff and we feel that he will be ready to be baptized on the 1 of November, so we are planning on that and I think it's really going to happen! We're super pumped for him! He's looking really good and is planning on it. Our other 18 year old investigator is doing alright. He always says that he plans to be baptized but just doesn't see the need to do it right now and keeps coming up with excuses to wait. But we had a way good lesson with him last night with a cool ysa member of our ward and it went super well so hopefully he starts to feel more of a desire to be baptized. So the work is going well, everyone is doing great. It's to bad that the one guy will be baptized the week after changes but like I would guess that I will still be here to see it since I just got to Espoo. This week we also had the chance to go to baptisms at the Temple with a recent convert who got baptized here in Espoo but then moved to a different city but was back visiting this weekend! So we went with the sisters who taught him and the recent convert and another member from the ward and we just happened to go on the day that people from the north of Finland were at the Temple. It was the north districts temple week so I saw a bunch of people that I knew from Seinäjoki and Vaasa and stuff and it was awesome to see them! It made me nostalgic and reflect on Seinäjoki and all that but it was way cool to see that the few members are still strong and were in the temple. Then the member of our ward who went with us to the temple took us out for lunch to an all you can eat sushi buffet which was super good and reminded me of america haha it was awesome! O also I forgot to mention that we had a zone meeting on Wednesday. So we prepared an hour and a half long meeting and it went really well. President Watson was there as well and we focused a lot on finding the one a day meaning finding one person or having one really good conversation with somebody every single day to help our finding. We also talked about planning and how to daily plan better to become better prepared missionaries. We ended by reading the story of Gideon in Judges chapters 6 and 7. I really like that story because it shows that it doesn't matter how many we have or how strong our force is, but if we are obedient and trust in God than he will use us to accomplish his purpose. It's a really cool story you should all read it sometime this week. At the zone meeting we also took a language test. So I've been working on grading all of those this week with elder Downs and we're going to do the oral exams this week by just calling all the companionships. So that's a lot of work but it's pretty cool. 

This week should be good. Same old stuff, district meeting and one of us has to go over to another city to do a baptismal interview and then change calls come Friday or saturday. So next week I'll get to tell you about where I'm going or who my companion is and all that. Well I love you all so much! Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment